SHIVYAWATA is a Swahili short term for “Shirikisho la Vyama Vya Watu Wenye Ulemavu Tanzania” translated from Tanzania Federation of Disabled People’s Organisations. SHIVYAWATA is a non governmental federation which brings together ten national Disabled People’s Organisations (DPOs) established by the DPOs in 1992.
SHIVYAWATA envisions a society which advocates for and empowers persons with disabilities through the recognition of human rights creation of barrier free environment and inclusive society for all people of Tanzania.
Launching a prolonged campaign geared toward repudiating social injustices facing disabled people through social, economic, and political systems.
SHIVYAWATA is committed to issues of:
- Equality of participation
- To unite all Disabled Peoples’ Organizations (DPOs) and the Pro-Disability Organizations ( PDOs) for effective lobbying and advocacy work.
- To act as an organized pressure group to the Government, Political Parties and the Public so as to provide required and appropriate services to persons with disabilities on time.
- Motivating, encourage and assist the formation and registration of DPOs and PDOs as well as ensuring the existence of the already registered DPOs and PDOs.
- Safeguarding interest of Peoples with Disabilities and objective achievements.
- Ensuring networking with Government, Political Parties, and other Local and Foreign Organization with a view to empowering welfare of People With Disabilities.
- To perform advisory role to members (DPOs) of SHIVYAWATA.
- To advocate for mainstreaming Disability in Public and Private sector plans and programs.