HANDCAP INTERNATIONAL (H.I) – VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Position: Project Officer – Rights to Inclusion
Reports to: Project Manager – Nairobi
Location: Dar es Salaam – Tanzania Closing date: 18th November, 2014
Handicap International is an independent and impartial aid organization working in situation of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We work alongside people with disabilities and vulnerable populations, taking action and bearing witness in order to respond to their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity.
Handicap International intervenes in difficult circumstances in order to prevent impairments and disabilities caused by disease, accidents or violence. The organization also aims to ensure access for all to services in a range of sectors. Lastly, the organization works on capacity- building, promotes greater social participation and encourages people to exercise their rights.
The Handicap International network consists of eight national associations. The French association, set up in 1982, was joined in its fight to help the most vulnerable people by Handicap International Belgium in 1986, followed by Switzerland in 1996, Luxembourg in 1997, Germany in 1998, the UK in 1999, Canada in 2003 and lastly the USA in 2006.
Following the creation of the Federation in 2009, Handicap International adopted a new global organization that aims to consolidate and increase its capacity to take action in aid of the most vulnerable people in more than 60 countries.
The Project Officer (PO) position is for the “From Rights to Inclusion” project being implemented in Tanzania and Kenya. This project aims at moving forward the protection of rights for persons with disabilities as outlined in the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disability (CRPD) and national legislations. It is expected that the project will empower persons with disabilities and Disabled Persons Organizations with the understanding, skills and experience to use a rights-based approach to advocacy to work with government and the wider rights community to achieve lasting improvements in the observance of the rights of persons with disabilities.
The objectives of the project are the following:
1- To strengthen capacities of DPOs to advocate for the implementation of the CRPD
2- To institutionalize civil participation for the implementation of the CRPD
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager in Nairobi, Kenya, the PO will ensure that the project activities are implemented in Tanzania as per the project proposal through regular field visits in Tanzania. He/she is responsible for
- Implementation of project activities
- Implementing the activities defined in the project respecting all the donor and HI requirements
- Supporting and assisting the partner(s) in the implementation of the activities planned in the proposal, making sure that HI and donor requirements are respected.
- Monitoring, reporting and evaluation
- Following up the implementation of the activities and filling in on a regular basis the data collection tools drafted by the Project Manager.
- Ensuring that the data collection tools are properly filled in by the partners and sent on time.
- Acting as the liaison with project partners (SHIVYAWATA and Ministry of Health and Social Welfare in Tanzania)
- Planning regular meetings with partners and stakeholder
- Ensuring effective communication among partners, organizations and the community
- Contributing towards the development of the project
- Participating in the assessment of gaps and needs in the sector of intervention and exchange information with the Project manager
- Participating in review of strategies and project planning
Qualifications and Skills Required
- Degree in Social Sciences, Disability studies or Human rights Experience
- Minimum of 2 years practical experience in project implementation
- Team Player
- Ability to multitask
- Organizational skills
- Decision Making
- Communication and Problem solving
- Able to work independently
- Monitoring and evaluation
- Report writing
- Public relations
- Writing proposals
- Computer: MS word, Ms Excel, Ms Power point, Internet, Electronic messaging system and Social media
Please note: The Project officer position is a four and a half months fixed term contract.
If you feel you are the right candidate for this position, kindly send your application along with an up-to-date CV and 3 referees with their current contacts by email to :-
The email subject line should be marked: “Application for Project Officer – Tanzania position” Due to the urgency of the position, CVs will be shortlisted as they are received and interview conducted on short notice.
Only short listed candidates who are eligible to work in Tanzania and with the above qualifications and skills will be contacted.
Handicap International is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Females and Persons with Disabilities are encouraged to apply.